- Job ID:
- Reading, United Kingdom
- Date posted:
- 31 May 2022
Assistant Manager - Share Plans and Incentives
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. Friendly, driven and diverse, they service our clients across the country and around the world. By providing expertise in many different specialist areas of tax, they collaborate across BDO to deliver wider business solutions. From meeting clients’ evolving business needs to managing changes to legislation, there are always fresh challenges to face in the Tax team. If you’re after a career that will keep you on your toes, we’ll give you the autonomy to drive your career forward.
We’ll help you succeed
You will be a key member of the Global Employer Services group of 12 specialists within the Thames Valley offices, within the Share Plans and Incentives team. You will be responsible for assisting the team in providing tax advisory and compliance services to a wide range of clients, from entrepreneurial owner managed businesses to large multinational companies.
The primary responsibility will be to work with and support senior members of the team to deal with all matters relating to the management of a portfolio of existing clients and assist with the development of targets in order to ensure the continued growth of the business. The majority of the work is advisory other than a busy year end reporting process in April – July.
Key to the role is for the individual to be able to pro-actively manage their own workload, communicating with directors/partners on a regular basis. This is essential due to the size and nature of the team. Furthermore, the individual will be expected to be able to consider and highlight further opportunities to develop new work.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A good understanding of the tax treatment of share options and other forms of employee share ownership
- Confident and outgoing individual able to develop successful long term relationships with senior individuals
- In-depth knowledge of all aspects of the implementation of EMI (including drafting rules and bespoke documents), as well as related areas such as company law, income tax, NIC and capital gains tax etc
- Experience of other tax advantaged share plans, split interest, growth and nil paid arrangements
- Willingness to be involved in the preparation of share valuations and liaison with HMRC (and ideally prior experience)
- Ability to prepare Employment Related Securities annual returns and identify opportunities for further work
- Manage a client portfolio and demonstrable development and longevity of client relationships with ability to recognise selling opportunities of new services to existing clients
- Interest in technology and working with the wider team to develop our existing global equity and share plan reporting tools
- Awareness of global equity issues and ideally experience of delivering equity advice across multiple jurisdictions
- Awareness of payroll, accounting, employment law and company law implications of share incentives
- Experience of dealing directly with clients including agreement of fees or willingness to learn
- Interest in working with company owners to really understand their business and the wider HR and human drivers and implications of share plans to ensure the correct share plan is implemented
- Educated to degree level (LLB preferred), and/or CTA and/or ATT/ACA qualified or equivalent, although professional exams are not compulsory
You’ll also be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer everyone the opportunity to work in ways that suit them, their teams, and the task in hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following core benefits:
● 25 days’ holiday;
● access to a Group Personal Pension Plan, with matched employer contributions;
● Life Assurance cover;
● Income Protection insurance;
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. They can:
● buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
● add on Private Medical, Personal Accident, Dental or Travel Insurance; Home Technology
● enrol in our Bikes to Work scheme;
● enjoy discounts at cinemas, dining out, shopping and gyms through our Employee Discounts arrangement;
● receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
● access additional services like our financial wellbeing platform, online GP service or our Employee Assistance Programme
We understand that everyone works in different ways and the same environment isn’t always suited to every task. So we give you choice and flexibility around how, when and where you work, providing you with the environment, digital tools and training to enable you to deliver your best for yourself, your team, and your clients.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy. Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,000 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.