- Job ID:
- Southampton, United Kingdom
- Date posted:
- 21 June 2022
Senior Executive - Southampton
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Manage risk for our clients to make them stronger for the future.
Our Digital & Risk Advisory Services (DRAS) are designed to enable organisations to leverage our innovative methodologies, technology, and highly experienced professionals to manage their business risks most effectively. Working at BDO offers curious-minded people excellent exposure to all aspects of business strategy, operations and more.
We’re a dynamic team of internal auditors, accountants, technology, and business transformation experts with disciplines in finance, risk, projects and change, cyber and digital, amongst others.
Our extensive network and depth of experience mean we work in a highly client-centric way, focused on providing a collaborative, tailor-made advisory service. Our team helps clients manage their business-critical threats, such as cyber events, and build resilient businesses capable of responding to internal and external events which may interrupt their operations. Being known for exceptional client service in our chosen markets, we put innovation and agility at the heart of everything we do.
This is your chance to join a fast-paced, growing team and help shape the future of DRAS at BDO.
We’ll help you succeed
As a Senior Executive you will take responsibility for running assignments, supervising the work of more junior staff, and working directly with our clients under manager supervision. You will be involved in a range of assurance and advisory projects and will gain broad experience of delivering assignments across our commercial and not for profit client base. The complexity and size of assignments will vary significantly, and your work assigned will generally be well defined.
- Conduct assignments from planning to final reporting, using experience and judgement to apply BDO’s methodology, seeking guidance from managers as required.
- Execute a wide variety of tests/ procedures and accurately interpret results, whilst ensuring the work is competently and efficiently performed in accordance with professional standards.
- Proactively build client relationships, understand their business, and consider how BDO can bring longer-term value beyond the immediate remit of our work.
- Effectively analyse data and information (structured/unstructured) to drive evidence-based findings. Clearly articulate and link the implications of these findings to the clients’ broader business issues and objectives.
- Apply internal control concepts in a wide variety of settings, develop appropriate testing approaches and assess the exposures resulting from ineffective or missing control practices.
- Understand the financial, operational, and compliance risks which affect activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and appropriately define those risks, and formulate recommendations which are appropriate, practical and cost-effective.
- Prioritise work so resources are devoted to areas of highest risk in line with agreed terms of reference for the work.
- Consistently document relevant facts and information which support the work performed and conclusions drawn, so other reviewers can follow your logic in line with the BDO methodology and risk and quality assurance requirements.
- Effectively evaluate results, weighing the relevancy, accuracy, and perspective of conclusions against the accumulated evidence. Be effective in communicating results, both verbally and in writing (will be reviewed by senior members) so they are persuasive, placed in the appropriate context, and understood by the recipient.
- Communicate in a proactive and professional manner with clients.
- Be proactive in making business decisions, for example, providing solutions for any client challenges.
- Demonstrate effective time management skills by completing assignments within time budgets and calendar schedules while handling multiple tasks.
- Exhibit creativity and innovation in recommending risk and control improvements to client practices and processes.
- Engage in professional development activities.
- Supervise, coach, support and develop junior members of the team and always share expertise within the team.
- Contribute to, and participate in the growth and development of our team i.e. marketing, networking and business development activities.
- Be a team player – collaborating with colleagues to assist with continuous improvement in everything we do.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Professional qualification ACA, ACCA, CIPFA, CMIIA (CIA + 3 QIAL case studies) or equivalent
- Relevant professional experience covering any of the following:
- Operational knowledge of controls from a design and operating effectiveness perspective
- An understanding of assurance reporting standards including ISAE 3402, ISAE 3000 and SSAE 18, SOC 2
- Governance and enterprise risk management
- Contract and commercial risk
- Specialist areas such as ESG, data privacy or programme/change management advisory
- Ability to work to deadlines, often managing multiple commitments
- Demonstrable knowledge of current economic and market trends
- Experience with data analytics techniques and software, however additional training will be provided
- Experience in using flow charting software
- Flexibility to travel on a regular basis locally with potential for wider travel including international assignment.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer everyone the opportunity to work in ways that suit them, their teams, and the task in hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.